The main purpose of zero waste shopping is to promote naturally sustainable performs and to circumvent the use of non-biodegradable products like plastic.
Plastic is something that is so rooted in our everyday lives that we don’t even think about it. It wraps our food in the supermarket and our medicine in the drugstore. Appliances are made of plastic. Toothbrushes, dental floss, menstrual pads are made of it. Kids toys, dog’s toys, shoes, clothes. And sooner or later, all these stuffs will be blended in a bin. To avoid the use of plastic we do plastic-free packaging most of the time and in case if needed we use biodegradable plastic and cellophane bags and wrappers. Bring large glass jars or other reusable flasks to the store Use them wherever an item needs to be weighed or you can bring a solid cloth bag with you to take solid bulks and dry fruits with you. Carry recyclable cotton produce bags and use them to buy fruits and vegetables.
Why zero waste shopping?
- Zero waste shopping is very advantageous for our economy because reusing, reducing and recycling creates 10x more jobs than disposal.
- Zero waste shopping is good for the environment as it reduces the use of plastic.
- One of the most significant advantages of zero-waste grocery is that not only is the plastic waste being condensed, but actual food waste is being reduced too. Did you know that up to 40% of the food we purchase ends up in the trash because it spoils before it’s eaten? Meanwhile, you can purchase just one of what your prerequisite at a zero-waste store instead of a whole box; you can buy only what you’ll use.
- The unpackaged department prices per pound are significantly less than most packaged products which save a lot of your money.
- Packaging waste is reduced when shoppers are fortified to bring their own containers to fill in store. Just weigh-in at the checkout prior to filling and that weight will be subtracted from purchase weight.
The normal American tosses away 185 pounds of plastic every year, so if we want to bound the volume of pollutants we are freeing into the environment, minimizing plastic packaging waste while at the grocery store is a great dwelling to start.
We make it informal to shop. Just fill up your vessel and buy as slight or as much as you need.