Make the Perfect, Fluffy Pancakes with a Nutty Twist
How to Make the Perfect, Fluffy Pancakes with a Nutty Twist
Let’s start things off by saying that pancakes are the best. Any day, any time, any place - pancakes are universally loved and they even have a whole day dedicated to them - Pancake Tuesday or more traditionally known as Shrove Tuesday and it falls forty-seven days before Easter. The Wednesday that follows is Ash Wednesday and that marks the beginning of Lent whereby Catholics and Christians fast for forty days and forty nights.
Now that we’re all up to speed on why we celebrate this glorious day, let’s get down to business. We’re gonna teach you how to make fluffy pancakes with a nutty twist.
Basic Fluffy Pancake Making 101:
Get your basics together - self-rasing flour, eggs, and milk. All you need for traditional, fluffy pancakes.
Measurements: 2 cups of flour, 2 eggs, and 250mls of milk of your choice (semi-skimmed, oat milk, almond milk, etc)
How to make:
- Separate your eggs into whites and yolks.
- Put the whites aside for a second and put your eggs into a big bowl with your flour and milk.
- Mix well until all ingredients are well combined and you’re left with a nice smooth batter.
- You want a batter that’s not too thick nut not too runny either. To test this lift your wooden spoon and make figure 8’s to test the thickness of the batter.
- Place in the fridge to chill
- Grab your egg whites - this is how we make them fluffy.
- Whisk your egg whites with an electric whisk until stiff peaks.
- Get your mixture from the fridge and gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Don’t mix them in or you will lose all the air bubbles you just whipped up.
- Once folded - grab a pan and put the hob on medium-high.
- Throw a knob of butter in the pan, pour your mixture.
- You will know to flip the pancakes when bubbles start to form. You can try your hand at flipping them.
- Once golden brown, dress with your favorite toppings and serve.
Our Take on Pancakes
Now for the nutty twists and recommendations.
Use Nut Milk and Make Nut Milk
We always advocate for the use and making of nut milk. It is so simple to make and adds an extra level of depth to pancakes. If you need reminding, here goes: get raw nuts of your choice, almond, hazelnut, macadamia - 1:2 ratio. So one part nuts, two parts water to a blender, whizz that together, add sweetener if you like, and strain through a cheesecloth or towel. Voila - you have yourself some nut milk.
Toffee Nut Pancakes
Topping your pancakes with toffee nuts. Toffee nuts are magical bites of goodness. Toss some pecans and maple syrup in a pan together and let simmer - the water on the maple syrup will dissolve and coat itself in the pecans.
Atop your fluffy pancakes with toffee nuts, a knob of butter, and a good drizzle of maple syrup.
Macadamia and White Chocolate Pancakes with Strawberries.
Next is one of our favorite Macadamia and White Chocolate Pancakes with Strawberries.
When you have your fluffy pancake batter made from before. Scroll up to read again. Get macadamia nuts and carefully chop them into small bite-sized pieces; the same goes for the white chocolate. And, throw them into your batter.
Serve with dried or fresh strawberries. These are unreal - trust us.
The Wrap Challange
If you’re an avid tik toker or social media scroller, you’ll of seen the wrap trick. Where you slice down the center of a wrap and fold in fourths. Click here if you haven’t.
Well, we essentially did our own take on this in Nutty Delights HQ - we made a very basic crepe mixture - basically just watered down our pancake mixture with homemade nut milk and skipped the egg whites part.
Poured and spread evenly across a hot pan and flipped. Make a cut down the middle and we added our Nutty Delights hazelnut butter and some freshly sliced banana which some finely chopped honey almonds. Check the video out on our social media!
There you have it - all these recipes are and tested by the Nutty Delights team in HQ and at our respective homes.